1. Status of education in the villages and Slums:
Many children (both boys and girls) living in the slums and on the streets of villages and slums do not go to school. When they do, they often lack access to the necessary conditions – both material and social – to successfully continue their studies. Many are from single parent homes and many live in environments where alcohol, drugs and physical and sexual abuse are unfortunately commonplace.
In India half of class V children still cannot read a class II reading book. The same is true for numeracy attainment. For children coming into school, attainment levels are even lower due to the fact that we are helping the most vulnerable and underprivileged children in society. Without education in a safe and secure place, these children have little hope of escaping the poverty trap. That is why at our school focused on the basics –
Numeracy and literacy – and ensuring our children have a happy environment to study. If children read well, they can learn history and geography. If they are good at math, they will be better at science and computer programming. Of course, academic success is directly correlated to children having fun and having a safe and comfortable place to learn. Our program focuses on learning through playing and using audio-visual techniques, as well as traditional teaching methods.
2. The Education at School:
We are running school which aims to support children living in the slums and on the streets to get a good education. We provide a stimulating learning environment, and we give children the materials, such as uniforms and books, bags, shoes and socks, all stationeries etc. After providing a solid foundation through our carefully crafted preschool education, we send all our children to good formal government schools from the age of six. They get complete financial support from us throughout their academic life. Not just that students who do not pursue academics are also trained and put into different vocational stream.
Our vocational training manager continuously works with the students on this aspect. Our teachers ensure that students truly understand concepts in maths, are able to master their own language and are competent in English. In the time they spend at our centres, students can do their homework, join computer lessons and take part in extracurricular activities, such as art, craft, dance, drama and sports. All children receive two meals per day, which have been carefully formulated to ensure they are exposed to a balanced diet. In addition new clothing is provided at the time of Christmas and new year celebrations..
Due to the very difficult home environments where our children live, Charity employs a counsellor and social worker to deal with some of the more complex issues – with the objective of enhancing the child’s and his/her family’s well-being. These are services which are scarcely available in the government system.
- To mobilize and motivate children from the villages and slums and put them firmly on the track of literacy through quality education and by providing them with an environment that supports education.
- Provide high quality relevant education through our learning centers.
- Encourage and enable each child to become an independent thinker and self learner.
- Make learning joyful
- Help transform community
- Remedial classes for all students
- One-on-one and group-based mentoring
- Targeted material support such as provision of school fees, uniforms, supplies, or transportation for children who would otherwise be unable to continue their education.
- Nutritional support, therapeutic support, basic health care support and vocational training support
- Counselling of the students and engagement of families, schools, and communities to help drive sustainable change.
Output and Outcome
- Better performance in school
- Reduced/eliminate dropout amongst the children
- Greater engagement and participation of parents
- Shift in community attitudes and steadily strengthening of local support for children’s’ education.
- Children developing strong life skills such as self-confidence, creative problem solving, and perseverance
- Seeing students from our program completing education successfully.
You must be logged in to post a comment.